Monday, November 12, 2012

Eternal Marriage: My Mormon Faith

In conjunction with my previous post, I felt to write on the topic of eternal marriage, and what that means to me as a Mormon.

One of the most beautiful truths about our doctrine is that we believe that families can be together forever; that means no "'til death do we part." Some individuals and religions proclaim that they believe the same thing too. The difference between the Mormon belief and other's belief that families are forever is that we have what we call the proper authority from God. What this means is, when Christ's gospel and priesthood (authority to act in God's name and heal and bless as He would) was taken from the earth during the dark ages, the proper priesthood authority to bind marriages and families on earth and in heaven was lost. When Joseph Smith restored the gospel of Christ to the earth, so came the proper priesthood authority to bind and seal marriages for time and all eternity.

We want all families to enjoy this blessing of being together forever. In order to qualify for this blessing, we must be keeping the commandments of God, obeying the word of wisdom, have a testimony of God and Christ, and sustain our church leaders. This allows us to get a temple recommend; which is much like a security pass to enter an "authorized personnel only" area. The recommend basically states that you have been found pure and worth to enter the Lord's house and are able to feel and contribute to the Spirit there.

When a man and a woman want to get married in our temples, they seek a special recommend from their bishop. They then enter the temple in a beautiful room that is full of light. Family and friends who also have a temple recommend can attend the wedding- or as we call it, the sealing. The couple kneels before an alter (like in Biblical times). Then a man with proper authority from God is able to perform the sealing of man and wife for time and all eternity.

It is a covenant (like baptism) that both man and women enter into personally, and it is of full effect so long as both people live worthy of their covenant. This basically means that after a man and woman are married in the temple, they still have to strive to keep the commandments and work hard in their marriage. It isn't a golden ticket to bliss and "happily ever after," but it is an incredible strength which blesses the couple with inspiration to know how to treat each other and their children (we all have times where we need help).

For Richard and I our experience was very sweet and simple. We had our family and some close friends in our temple sealing (marriage) and more who waited for us outside. I feel like our marriage has been helped and strengthened because of our determination to include God in it.

For example, when we have felt frustrated, annoyed, or hurt by each other, we have silently and individually turned to God and asked for help and He has softened our hearts. For an even clearer example, a few weeks ago, we had made plans to go out on a date while some friends watched Will for us. I was so excited about this date because we had been slightly disconnected from each other because of being so busy and stressed. As I talked to Rich on the phone I mentioned our plans, asking what time I should tell our friends to watch Will. Rich said he'd rather do it another weekend because he wasn't feeling like going through the hassle and was so exhausted. We ended the phone call frustrated and mad. I fumed alone for a good 10 minutes. My mind started to pull out a garbage list (aka began trying to rail on Rich), and I knew that wasn't the right thing to do. I stopped and started to pray. I explained my deep frustration, and as I prayed I realized that I wasn't mad at Rich, but I was so desperate to go on a date with him because I missed him and his attention so much. Right after this insight came to me, I got a text from Rich saying he was sorry and that he'd love to go on our date still. It was simple and it saved us further miscommunication and hurt feelings, all because we both prayed and both were blessed with a better solution than we had on our own.

Life is hard enough with all that attacks marriages. I am thankful for an eternal marriage. I am thankful for the strength it is to us. Rich and I entered our marriage with the end in mind. We understood there would be super high moments and super low moments, and we both committed to working through them together with our Heavenly Father's guidance. We have received strength, direction, and inspiration. We have been blessed with abundant love and the faith to do things we had no idea how they could work. God has directed our steps and helped us as we turn our hearts to Him.

Sadly, I have never been good at explaining how wonderful and sacred eternal marriage is. I am sure I have offended some as I have talked about eternal marriage and unintentionally made others feel that their marriage is lesser or something to that effect because it is not eternal. My heart aches at my great imperfections and inability to have the right words to use. While we as Mormons do believe all must have proper authority from God to enjoy an eternal family/marriage, we highly regard and cherish the sanctity of marriage. It is a binding of man and woman which brings great strength to individuals and society at large. I have seen incredible marriages of people who are not Mormon; and have learned great lessons from what they do so well to make their marriage and family relationships close.

Eternal marriage makes sense to me. It aligns with how God works (through proper authority, laws and principles, and perpetuating the family unit). My heart rejoices that there are so many temples around the world which give a tremendous amount of people the opportunity to be married there. Our joy, growth, and lives are magnified and blessed.

I know temple marriage to be of God. It is light and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment