Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tutor

The week prior to having Carter, William was an emotional basket case! I found myself wondering repeatedly, "what were we thinking?! We can't do this— I can't do this!" I wondered repeatedly how to meet Will's unknown, unpredictable needs with a newborn and his new, unknown, unpredictable needs as well.
I'm pretty sure any realistic, honest mom would admit to the fact that motherhood is full of extremes: superb happiness and thrill followed by pressing, forceful demand for deeper character than thought possible. I feel it honest to say, motherhood is the hardest thing I have ever done. I have never had to be so patient continuously, more selfless, or as penitent and submissive to impressions than as a mother. I have never felt such surging joy, protection, and love over a person as I have as a mother. Not just over my children, but that love has encompassed my darling husband, and a deeper adoration for my parents and family members.
When I look at the reality of motherhood, I believe it takes true grit. It's not a task to embark on because "babies are cute." Their sweetness is motivation, yes, but not cause alone. Raising another human being has far reaching implications to society and to the world of that individual who belongs to a family unit.

I came across this quote which I think applies to this heavy task of motherhood. "The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that to be like God we must go "from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power" ( "Be Ye Therefore Perfect": Beyond the Perfectionist Paradigm", Allan D. Rau).

Motherhood is my divine tutor.

No comments:

Post a Comment