Friday, July 13, 2012

Love is Hairy

Rich came home with news that a friend from back home unexpectedly lost his wife to a sudden illness. Our hearts mutually broke. I don't know the guy or his family, but I haven't been able to stop myself from saying silent prayers for them, and counting my blessings to have my family all intact.

Marriage is a blessing- even including all the trials. It is the ultimate fulfillment to share yourself 100% with the person who makes you feel complete. You share the ups and the downs; the in betweens and the I-don't-knows. You share the victorious moments, and the glum doldrums.

It can be scary and tricky to give yourself so completely to someone. True love takes work and practice. It's hard refining yourself to think the best of your spouse; especially when the world programs us to think the worst.

Love is hairy. I've seen seasoned vets still practicing how to do it right. It gives me inspiration to never stop trying to show my spouse how much I love him.

Tragic news is a good reminder to love better. It's a good time to evaluate actions, intentions, and goals. It's a good time to break out that photo album, reminisce, and make out like hormonally driven teenagers ;) I feel a little silly writing that... But it's true! I don't want to forget what those lips feel like against mine; I want my adoration, love, and complete fidelity to spill out of each long smooch.

It is a rich blessing to me to be married to such a wonderful person. He fills my life with flavor and interest. I've come to depend on him for my happiness and sanity. We've had time to see each other at our weakest moments- individually and as a couple; and we've had time to see each other at our highest peeks- individually and as a couple. I'm glad love is work. I'm glad it requires something of myself to draw us close together: it's a long term investment that way.

Tonight, I'm counting my blessings and finding my husband at the top of my chart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment