Sunday, January 19, 2014

Phases

My sweet friend, Whittlee, just had their sweet baby girl, Navy, this evening. My heart is full of love and joy for these dear friends of ours. I see Navy's precious, fresh face and my heart becomes flooded as memories of my new born boys come to mind. Labor is the hardest, sweetest experience. There are few words to accurately describe the exhaustion of the experience that is then followed by pure exquisite joy.

I am thankful for seasons of life. I am thankful to be in the season where I am creating my family. My boys are changing me and teaching me every day. They are encouraging me to be less selfish and more giving; more patient and loving. They teach me what it is to do things wrong and how to turn around and do it right.

Parenthood is hard. You're raising another human being who has their own personality and dispositions. You cannot control them no matter how badly you would like to, and that can be, quite frankly, scary. On the reverse side, it is also humbling. You begin to realize that your kids have tremendous potential for all that is good and wonderful in this world.

I am glad to know that even though I am far from being a perfect parent, I have a perfect Father in Heaven who is divinely invested in the welfare of my children, and because of this He will help me and my children. President Joseph Fielding Smith has said, "I feel most assuredly that our Father in heaven is far more interested in a soul—one of his children—than it is possible for an earthly father to be in one of his children. His love for us is greater than can be the love of an earthly parent for his offspring" ( Teachings of the Presidents of the Church, Joseph Fielding Smith, 42).

I feel that is true. As thrilling as it is as a parent to watch your child enter into a new phase of life and development, I am positive our Father in Heaven rejoices as He sees His spirit children come into this world, grow and develop, and cultivate their spiritual gifts through the proper use of their agency. I am hopeful that as my sons grow they will choose to use their agency wisely, and that I will be inspired by the spirit to know how to best guide and help them.

Congrats to my dear friends, the Hamblins, as they begin the fun journey of being parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment