Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Development

In college I took a women's health class that has made a huge impact on my life. As we studied all about the body, I was amazed by how actually getting pregnant is such a one in a thousand chance, yet it happens often!

Once I was pregnant with William, and even a bit before, I studied up on all the possible things that could happen to a baby: birth defects, spina bifida, cleft lip/pallet, down syndrome, autism, the list goes on and on. I thought to myself then, "wow! It's a wonder that so many babies are born without major defects impacting their lives!"

After William was born, I became obsessed with keeping him healthy, happy, and thriving. I think to myself now, "man! It's a wonder our kids aren't sick all the time! It's a miracle they live to be adults!"

Yet some how women get pregnant, children are born without defects, and they by pass illnesses which allow them to grow up to become healthy adults. Wow!

As I have thought so much about the physical development of my boys, I also think often of their spiritual development.

When I remember all the things I have been exposed to, I often wonder how I am where I am today spiritually. Early on in elementary school I began hearing things that should be saved for adult audiences, and even then very sparingly! I think about my boys and wonder, "Lord, how will they make it?"

I am given courage by the account of the two thousand stripling warriors (found in Alma 53 and on). Here this group of young men were confronted with losing their liberty and freedom as a people. Their fathers had changed their ways so much that they had covenanted with God to never touch their weapons of war ever again. And they hadn't. Their plan was to simply die or allow themselves and their families to be taken captive before they broke their promise to God.

Just as there seemed to be no hope, these valiant young men gathered themselves together. They then entered a covenant that they would protect their land "unto the laying down of their lives" (Alma 53:17). They said that they would, "...fight in all cases to protect the Nephites [their people] and themselves from bondage."

Now, my sons may or may not have to fight a physical battle for their freedoms, but I know they will be daily fighting a spiritual battle for their souls. There will be luring detours on their path of life. There will be an onslaught of distractions, stimulations, and temptations they will face. So how do I arm my boys with the faith these young men had to assemble themselves together and make this choice to defend themselves and their people?

Verses 20 and 21 read, "And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.
"Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk up rightly before him."

As a mother, I can do all I can to teach my children truth. This past weekend we were at the park as a family, enjoying watching William giggle down the slides. As we were sending William down one slide, a group of 6th grade (looking) girls and boys caught our attention. The girls were loudly talking about a very inappropriate subject trying to get a rise out of the boys. My blood pressure went up and I thought, "oh my word!!! What are you talking about?! That is not appropriate EVER!" Just as I thought to approach them and tell them their conversation was completely inappropriate, another mother took the reigns and let the girls hear it. I was glad to be off the hook, but my soul was troubled after that.

In my evening prayers I talked to my Heavenly Father about it. Wondering how I can possibly raise successful boys. As I laid down, the thought came to me, "surround them with truth."

I know my boys will make their own choices in life. I know not all of them will be good and that they will have to repent a few hundred thousand times. But I hope they do. I hope they work and work at finding the truth and leaving anything and everything behind them that doesn't add to it. I hope that they can look to my faith as an anchor to them until their personal faith is sufficient to guide them in all things, times, and places. I hope they will be young men of faith, hope, and courage, and can be counted on to be valiant and true in all things- no matter where they are or who they are with.

When I was pregnant with William, a sweet friend of mine from my college soccer team gave me the most helpful, real "pre-motherhood" advice. She told me to qualify for the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. It was simple but dead on. With the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, I can qualify for inspiration on how to best help my children reach their full potential spiritually and physically. I can know exactly how to reach my child to teach them what they need to know. I can be given the words when I have none of my own, and I can be given the direction to protect them from harm neither they nor I can immediately see.

I pray that beyond the influence of Richard and myself, that my boys will have amazing leaders who strengthen them and care for them as they would their own sons, just like Helaman cared for and protected the two thousand stripling warriors (Alma 56:10). I pray that they will have friends who defend them in their faith and moral values, just as the two thousand stripling warriors did (Alma 53:17-18, 20-21). And I hope that they will have the personal conviction to be true at all times because of the many truths they have been taught from their boyhood, just like the two thousand stripling warriors (Alma 56:45, 47-48).

I believe God can make rough stones smooth, and uneven paths even. I believe God cares for all of us. I know He will help us on our course if we have faith to endure. I am grateful for all of the daily small choices I have made in my life to spiritually be where I am today. And I am especially grateful for parents who held to the truth and never stopped trying to help me find it too.

There is work to be done ahead, and many, many prayers to be said. I know that God will lead me as I try to both physically and spiritually protect and prepare my boys for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment